It is a good idea to prepare for your new kitten or cat before you bring him home. Here is a checklist of supplies that you will need to care for your new cat:
- Food and water bowls: ceramic, glass or stainless steel are best; avoid those food-and-water-in-one dishes, because cats tend to slop bits of food into the water dish, and then they won’t drink the dirty water
- Litter box, litter and scoop
- Collar and identification tag
- Scratching post: make sure it’s tall enough an sturdy enough for your cat to reach up on her hind legs and get a good stretch
- Grooming aids: which brush and comb are best will depend on the length of your cat’s coat; don’t forget the nail clippers!
- Cat carrier
- First aid supplies
- Cat toys
- Cat food
You should also choose a veterinarian before you bring your cat home. Consult neighbors and friends for recommendations.