You start teaching the “come” command by calling your cat to come for a meal. He probably already comes to you for food, so starting this trick is easy.
What You’ll Need
- Your cat at mealtime
- A quiet room where the cat is comfortable
- A specific command (in this case, the word “come”), preceded by your cat’s name (“Scooter, come”)
- Your positive signal (a clicker, or an upbeat word such as “yes”)
- The reward (his favorite food or special treats)
- Make sure the cat is within hearing distance.
- Clearly give the command “Scooter, come.”
- When the cat comes to you, give the positive signal and say “come, good come” in a praising, upbeat way. Immediately give him his food reward.
- When your cat has learned to come for his meal, move to a new location and repeat the training pattern.
- Eventually, your cat should come to you whenever you use the command “come.” When he does, use the positive signal when your cat gets to you, then give him his food reward.